Hello everyone! Welcome the Save Da Moche blog Thus far it has been quite eventful, as is most service project trips. I arrived to Huanchaco, Peru on Friday (June 24th) and was welcomed by Esther, public health director of MOCHE, Inc. Once we arrived to our “home,” I was introduced to most of the team, or should I say teams. It was a bit overwhelming, I must say. There are a total of three teams: Archeology, Nourish (compiled of Yale and Ohio State undergrad and grad students), and Engineers Without Borders (EWB-compiled of undergrad and grad students from University of North Carolina and NC State).
By day two, June 25th, people were getting sick from something that was eaten a few days earlier. It seemed that there were two kinds of bugs going around, a stomach bug and another kind of nuisance bug. All in all it resulted in 11 people being sick, minor outbreak. Nothing to be overly concerned, just a couple of liters of IV fluids, a little rest; and the students were good to go. I spent most of the day getting to know people within the teams, being at the clinic with a couple students while they were being resuscitated with fluids, and buying traditional herbs to help with the stomach issues. It was quite exciting
Sunday, our day of rest…this particular day I oriented myself to the place and my role within this massive operation. I say massive because there are so many arms or extensions to MOCHE. The projects that are being worked on this summer are restoration of archeological artifact, building a medical clinic, building sewage sanitation systems with Cuidad de Dios community, encouraging the community of Cuidad de Dios to build up their Plaza de Armas, and implementing three health fairs. Some may say that this is impossible, but I am here to say that it is not. It is actually happening and the students are amazing. The men and women power is going strong and all the projects are coming right along.
A little treat for me was able to get a little fun...surfing! I met with the people who run Muchik Surf School and got a smoking deal to rent a surfboard for a couple of weeks. I figured I would go out in the water after work or early in the morning if doable. Yes, to answer the question the water is cold, but the waves are fun when they are not overly huge. The current here is pretty strong and one sure does get a work out. It sure makes up for the all yummy food and deserts that I eat.
Monday….what can I say. Monday, I believe is a day that is jaded. No matter what part of the world a person is Mondays just don’t give the joyful feeling. However, I was filled with joy when I was informed to assist a girl from Cuidad de Dios to University Of Northern Peru and pay her tuition for the first quarter. Fiorela is her name and she is the FIRST person to attend college in her village. There was such emotion and pride between the parents. Something that was odd to me was that the feeling was not really shared by the community. As a matter of fact, I noted there was some tension and a sense of mistrust. My hope is to explore the community's roots and their perception of each other, as well as their community as a whole.
Tuesday, June 28…I met with the president of Cuidad de Dios. To my surprise it was a 21- year old girl by the name of Julissa. In a nutshell the previous president stepped down and the community wanted Julissa to be president. Yes, there is a mentor, but after talking with her, she felt and at times still feels overwhelmed, but when a small difference in her community occurs she get jolted up again. This position commits for three years.
At times I helped the students with building latrines and I must say it is quite enjoyable, even if the sun is blazing. If I have not stated earlier, my primary role is to be the liaison between EWB (Engineers Without Borders) and Cuidad da Dios community. Thus far, I have been meeting with the community and assessing where they all stand with each other, the sewage sanitation project, and the NGO, who have come to assist with the project.
July 4th, we celebrated American style. We BBQ and had burgers its fixings, fries, salad, beer and just good ‘ole fun. We did not do much more as we were all so tired from the work we have been doing. On July 7th to July 11th we went to Cajamarca, which is more in the Andes. I love exploring new sites in Peru. Cajamarca has an altitude of 2,750-3,350 meters…depending on where one goes and pokes around. Only a few minor altitude issues…nothing that coco tea cannot help
My hope is to share little insights of the archeological sites I have seen and sites in general.
By this point we have pulled through with one health fair at a town called Menacucho and let me tell you it was a great turn out. The health fair had a dentist, OB, medical doctor, psychologist, pharmacist, lab tech…..yes, all services were free….consultation, blood drawn, pap smears, teeth cleaning and extractions…that is how we do here in Peru There were also educational health teaching.
Well, I will continue to fill you all in at a later date. There is so much and I do not want to overwhelm you or me
I want to thank you for your prayers also. It truly has been a great experience thus far and there is much more ahead.
Dear Solange, Peggy and I have loved and admired you for almost twenty years now, and once again you make us proud of our friend Solange! This capstone project is wonderful! We love how you take your strengths and your talents and skills and use all that to glorify God and help the world! Can we send you anything to help you get along (Breyer's Ice Cream doesn't travel well, but maybe something else?)
ReplyDeleteWe'll kep reading - please keep blessing us all!
Love from Mark and Peggy